- NEW ST. PAUL HEAD START
AGENCY, INC. (0-5) GRANTEE
(1301.1 Performance Standard)
An agency must establish and maintain a formal structure for governance that includes a governing body, a Policy Council at the agency level and a Parent Committee at the center level.
(1301.3 Performance Standard)
Each agency must establish and maintain a Policy Council responsible for the direction of the Head Start and Early Head Start program at the agency level.
Policy council- A group of parents and community representatives required to be established by the Grantee to assist in the decisions about the planning and operation of the Early and Head Start program.
Elections are held annually and parents/ legal guardians of children who are currently enrolled in the Early/Head Start program votes for the individuals they want to represent that center on the Parent Committee. Only parents and legal guardians can be elected to Parent Committee or Policy Council.
During Parent Leadership Conference/Training the Parent Committee vote to elect the Policy Council Executive Officers. All members of the Parent Committee and Policy Council must be elected or re-elected annual and only can serve a total of (5) five years.
Policy Council Executive Officers:
- Vice Chairperson
- Secretary (Recording)
- Secretary (Correspondence)
Duties and roles of Policy Council:
- Assist in decisions about the planning and operation of the agency.
- Attend monthly meetings and encourage other parents and family members to attend family events, parenting classes and educational workshops.
- Stay informed on issues at their centers and in the agency.
- Alert staff about issues that could harm the organization.
- Help other parents become involved and stay informed.
- Serve on Self-Assessment to evaluate the progress and compliance of our agency.
- Refer complaints to the correct person.
- Explore parent curriculum planning for the agency.
- Listen carefully and respect the opinions of others.
- Respect and support the majority decisions of the Policy Council.